Sunday, December 28, 2008

Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS vs Canon 300 f2.8L IS

I decided to do a comparison between my two lenses before I sell off my 300 to fund another hobby. I knew that I'd want to keep it after doing this test, but I don't have the funds for both :(

Unlike a few of my previous tests, this test focuses on comparing the sharpness of the two lenses (along with the associated teleconverters) when they have the same field of view. Thus, the image is the same in each shot, but the distance to the subject is varied. The distance to the subject is directly proportional to the focal length (no big surprise there).

Notes:
  • Canon 1Ds Mark II
  • MLU, 10s timer, cable release, G2220 Tripod, RRS BH-55LR
  • All images used AF. The 1DsII does not have live view and I do not have a right angle viewfinder.
  • The Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS has a B+W 77mm MRC UV filter on it. I did not smear Vasoline on the filter.
  • Nothing has been applied to the images other than a global white balance
  • Feel free to download the image and sharpen to your own taste
  • Please note that the image is 8.8MB
  • When you stack the 2x II & 1.4x II, the 1Ds II does not recognize the 1.4x II. I'm not sure if this is to fool the camera to allow it to use certain AF sensors that work at f5.6 and larger aperatures.
http://www.pbase.com/enigmarogue/image/107528494

2 comments:

ben bd said...

Are you sure you did not smear Vasoline on the filter?

;)

Greg said...

Yes, I'm very sure ;) Comparing a $1500 zoom to a $3700 prime had better show a huge difference.