Friday, March 28, 2008

What I use: Strobist style

A few people have asked for advice on Strobist equipment, so I figured I'd list what I'm currently using. I'll try and list them from the ground up.
  • Stand: Lumopro LP604
    • A very compact stand, small enough that 2 fit in my LowePro NatureTrekker AWII
    • Not going to be supporting any large softboxes, but the umbrellas work nicely.
    • Please note that the Lumopro LP604 is a house brand of MPEX (Midwest Photo Exchange) . The Bogen equivalent is the 3373.
  • Umbrella swivel: Bogen/Manfrotto 2905
    • All metal, haven't had any complaints. It's slightly more expensive than a few other swivels, but it'll last a while.
  • Flash adapter: Stroboframe flash mount adapter
    • I previously had a house brand that annoyed me to no end. With the Stroboframe, you don't have to tape the mount, since the hotshoe contacts don't touch the mount.
    • Secondly, the clamp knob on the previous mount was a simple screw coming in to hold the hotshoe. The Stroboframe jaw moves to clamp the flash down, which is much more secure.
    • Personally, I'd advise spending the extra $10 or whatever it might cost you, to get the Stroboframe flash mount adapter.
  • Umbrella: Westcott - White Satin, Removable Black Cover, Collapsible - 43"
    • It's nice for your first umbrella to have both a shoot through and reflective. You'll get a good idea of what suits your style best, and it won't break your bank.
    • Probably not the worlds most durable umbrella
  • Flash: Canon 580EX II + CP-E4
  • Trigger: PocketWizard MultiMax + Hildozine PocketWizard Caddy
Reviews

No comments: