Sunday, November 28, 2010

Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS Mark I vs Mark II

I recently purchased the Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS Mark II and wanted to compare it against my Mark I. I have a 4 x 8 uncut sheet of $2 bills that I use for lens tests as it generally has more detail than my camera can currently resolve. Click on the photo to enlarge ~5.4 MB.



Notes:

  • I was using the PocketWizard's PowerTracking/eTTL feature to automatically compensate for the change in aperature on my 580EX II flashes. The combination worked for the most part, but there are slight fluctuations in brightness throughout the test.
  • The Mark II is noticeably sharper for large aperatures
  • The Edge 70mm Mark II crop is less sharp than the Mark I counterpart. After looking at the other corners (not pictured), the Mark II wins on 2 of them, and 1 is roughly a wash.

No comments: